I need help choosing the right equipment :)

My name is Curro, and I am a Food Scientist. Part of my work involves analyzing fermentation data logs, which I have been doing using a DrDAQ PicoLog and its respective sensors with a Raspberry Pi. I find this setup convenient due to its user-friendly interface and ease of use, especially since I am unfamiliar with writing code and prefer to avoid it if possible.

Colleagues who are more knowledgeable about computing have recommended that I switch to using sparkfun sensors. According to them, DrDAQ is outdated, and Sparkfun offers an impressive range of products. I am reaching out to with the following questions:

• Would you recommend using a Raspberry Pi 4 with your sensors?
  • Do you offer any user interfaces that can easily log data such as temperature, oxygen, pH, humidity and Co2?
  • Which of your products would you recommend as a data logger?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone in advance!

You can consider the following sparkfun sensors.

For data logging purpose, you can use Raspberry pi 4, as per your plan. But in my opinion, ESP32 will be more cost effective.

Hey there! Thank you for your answer!

I would need the sensors to be submerged in a liquid while tracking.

Would the following system work?, apologies for my ignorance in advance :slight_smile:

DataLogger IoT - 9DoF

Connected with Qwiic to:

Temperature Sensor Water Proof (how to connect?)

And from Atlas Scientific:
BNC pH Sensor
Disolved Oxygen Electrode
Co2 Sensor

Could that work?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Great to hear about your work in food science! Here’s some advice on switching to Sparkfun sensors with a Raspberry Pi 4:

1. Raspberry Pi 4: Yes, using a Raspberry Pi 4 with Sparkfun sensors is a good idea. It’s powerful and has a lot of community support.
  2. User Interfaces: Sparkfun doesn’t have a dedicated UI like PicoLog, but you can use software like Node-RED, which has a user-friendly interface and can log data from various sensors without needing to write code.
  3. Recommended Products: For data logging, I recommend the following Sparkfun products:
  • Temperature: SparkFun Qwiic TMP117 High Precision Temperature Sensor
  • Oxygen: SparkFun SEN-12642 - Air Quality Sensor (Oxygen)
  • pH: SparkFun pH Sensor Kit (SEN-10972)
  • Humidity: SparkFun Humidity and Temperature Sensor (SEN-14348)
  • CO2: SparkFun SCD30 - NDIR CO2 Sensor (SEN-15112)

These sensors can be easily connected to the Raspberry Pi via the I2C interface.