LED Physical dimensions

Hi,

I am working on a project, where I need to measure the Physical dimensions of an LED along with few other metrics, I have seen online and there’s numerous sizes available. :smiley:

I don’t know if its right forum but I have read similar questions here. It’s theoretical project and is related to Physics so help me out here. Any standard values.

Thanks.

Seems like its not the right forum for this question :roll:

Let me add more details to it. I am a [Physics student and we have this theoretical project where we need to work on physical dimensions of electronic components. So my assignment is on LEDs. So my basic question is: Is there any standard size for LEDs (small LEDs) or they are available in multiple sizes?](What is Physics? Definition, Branches, Books and Scientists - The Engineering Projects)

LEDs are available in multiple sizes. Most of them are standardized or roughly standard (ones like T1-3/4 or PLCC6), but there’s no such thing as a “generic” led with a fixed size. Your best bet would be to go to Digikey.com and look at what’s available. Each one there will have a link to the manufacturer’s data sheet where you should be able to find a dimensioned drawing.

/mike

Thanks for the site, I will check it out.

Btw so far I have searched out that LEDs dimensions are actually its radius, there are LEDs of 5mm, 3mm etc.

LEDs are are available in an immensely diverse array of types. You can get a sense of variety just looking at [what’s offered by Sparkfun. The 3 & 5 mm diameter ones are probably most common among hobbyists. However, [surface mount LEDs are commonly used for indicators on printed circuit boards. There are [rectangular packages for light pipes and display backlighting. A lot of automotive signal lighting use LEDs in weird shapes and sizes. There are laser emitting diodes. Audiovisual remote controls use infrared LEDs in unique packaging. Some LEDs are [large format & high power and require a heat sink to be fully driven.

It’s really hard to generalize.](https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13106)](Through-Hole LED, Rectangular LED)](SMD LEDs)](LEDs and Illumination - SparkFun Electronics)

If you can find a data sheet for the LED you’re wanting to use, that should give dimensions. Bear in mind that ‘economy’ LEDs might not have comprehensive data sheets that include physical dimensions or the dimensions could be wrong but with the money you save a [pair of calipers will let you measure them fairly accurately.](https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10997)