LTE Cat M1/NB IoT Shield not mounting as USB serial device in macOS

I’m using an M1 Macbook Pro (not to be confused with the “Cat M1” of this board.

First, I tried using this shield as a shield plugged physically on top of an Arduino Uno. I had great results and could communicate with a couple different mobile carriers :slight_smile:

Now I want to test it in USB serial mode. I modified the board as per the USB Interface instructions in the Hookup Guide (https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/lt … -interface). See photo attached of my own solder job – I tried it twice and I don’t think it’s a cold solder issue.

I have tried about 5 usb micro cables and none result in a serial device showing up on my mac. I tested one cable with my ebook which responds to it and requests to mount it so I think that cable must be good and have the D-/D+ wires in it.

What else can I try? I ultimately want to try this on a Pi Zero but thought I’d start on the mac. I couldn’t find any information about perhaps needing a driver for macOS or Raspberry Pi.

You need a driver, I don’t know for sure if there’s one for OSX but there is one for windows. You might start tinkering on windows first just to make sure everything is working there first and then move over ţo your Mac provided you can find a driver.

I think in macOS Ventura, Apple has their own that replaces FTDI from what I could tell. Also, when programming an Arduino Uno over USB, the Uno appears as a serial device so would you say that means that my driver is working? After trying a bunch of stuff, as a smoke test, I put my sparkfun shield back on top of the Uno but I did not think to remove the solder bridge on the VUSB_DET yet it still functioned fine (as a shield) like previously. I’m wondering if that should have even worked with the solder bridge connected?

Also wonder if the wiring for USB is simply usb micro on the breakout board to USB on the computer. Do I need to use the 6-pin FTDI connection? If so, do I ALSO need the usb micro plugged in, for power? I tried every possible conceivable connection.

You need the driver for the cellular module, not a driver for FTDI. You will need to get that driver from Ublox. I do not believe they have a Mac driver.

Thank you. Took a bit of searching but I found it here under “Driver” https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/sara- … -resources

Looks like I’d need a Windows computer. I tried Windows 10 in Parallels on Mac but it tries to share USB devices with Windows. I could install the windows ublox driver but that’s apparently useless without a macos driver to then share it with windows via parallels first, from what I can tell. Bummer.