Qwiic Sound Trigger - No audio output

Hey Guys,

Anyone had a positive experience with the audio output on the sound trigger board based on the VM1010 mic?

1. When powered up, and in NORMAL mode (TRIG led is on), I do not see any audio output on the board Audio pin. What could be the reason for this? A scope is attached to this pin and nothing is showing, even when loud noises are present.

2. Does the VM1010 need a preamp?

Th’x

Nir.

Update: I have now connected a mic pre-amp to the Sound trigger “Audio” output but still can not see

any audio signal on the scope.

SparkFun - Have you tested this board’s Audio output to be fully working? it seems dead.

Assistance in solving this quickly will be greatly appreciated!

Nir.

Hi Nir,

To function as a microphone, the VM1010’s Mode pin needs to be pulled low. If the Mode pin is high, it will be in wake-on-sound mode and the audio output will be grounded.

The board defaults to wake-on-sound mode. There is a pull-up resistor connected to the Mode pin. Please check the schematic for more details.

To put the board into microphone mode, you need to pull the Mode pin low by doing one of the following:

• Push and hold the Mode button

• Tie the Mode breakout pad to GND

• Enable the PCA9536 GPIO0 pin via I2C and use that to pull Mode low

You can find the VM1010 datasheet and the board schematic in the GitHub repo:

https://github.com/sparkfunX/Qwiic_Soun … heet-3.pdf

https://github.com/sparkfunX/Qwiic_Soun … ematic.pdf

Best wishes,

Paul

Thank you Paul. That solved it. Not sure how I missed that.

Nir

Hello. I’m actually interested in the VM1000, so it’s great to see you have a breakout for a similar one. I guess the VM1010 may do too for continuous access to the audio? Can I get into microphone mode continuously without having a sound trigger by keeping MODE at GND?

Joey

Hi Joey,

Yes. If you link VM1010 MODE pad to GND, it will stay in microphone mode permanently.

If you do that, please do not try to use the I2C port expander (PCA9536) at the same time. If you tell the PCA9536 to pull MODE high, you will create a short circuit.

Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks!

Hi Paul, just to double check. Is it correct that there is a voltage bias of 0.77V on the Audio pin?

Product page says 0.80 volts.

Breakout pads for:
I2C
DOUT / Trigger
MODE / Reset
Gain adjustment
Analog audio output
VOUT bias is 0.8V