SARA-R5: Registration Status Not Registered

Hi,

We have recently purchased the SparkFun LTE GNSS Breakout - SARA-R5, and we are trying to configure it.

Apparently, when I use the m-center from ublox, and I get Registration Status as not registered.

The SIM looks OK and I can read the IMSI of the SIM card when I issue the CIMI AT command.

The LEDs of the board look weird.

• The ON status looks okay since the LED is turned White.

• Nt and TP are OFF

• 3V3 is Red

• VIN is Orange

-Rx and Tx are off

Please note that I have conected the board to my PC using a USB Cable.

Thanks,

Michalis

Strange; are any of the rear-side jumpers modified? https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/lt … e-overview

Have you attempted a factory reset, or swapping to a known-good SIM? https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/b/6/2/4 … 47455_.pdf

Hi,

I am using the module out of the box. I did not connect any jumper cables. The only cables I have connected are the USB cable and the two antennas (GPS and cellular)

I’ve tried sim cards from 3 different operators which are working fine for normal mobile phones.

Regarding the factory reset, do you mean I should issue the AT Command +UFACTORY?

Thanks for your reply,

Regards,

Michalis

Yep - any luck?

Hi,

I’m having the precisely same problem - Network not registered.

I have tried a working SIM and the same issue - Network not registered.

I have tried the Hologram SIM that came with the Sparkfun device on my phone and is registered as Roaming.

It like the LTE is not working at all.

I tried factory reset…seems to have done nothing.

Please help.

Julian.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/18031

Hi,

Here is some more info regarding my issue.

I recently purchased a “SparkFun LTE GNSS Breakout - SARA-R5”, installed the m-center software, connected the device to my PC’s USB and the m-centre application successfully connected to the device. I am able to send AT commands to the device and see the response.

I am located in Australia, and the Hologram SIM is supposed to work here but I continuously am unable to connect to the Hologram operator. In fact, I can’t even received any signal from any tower. The Hologram SIM is detectable on my mobile phone, so there is no problem with the SIM. I am thinking that there is something wrong with the embedded LTE hardware. I have connected a proper broad band LTE antenna, even checked it on a Vector Network Analyser, so this is not causing any problems. Is there something I’m missing here on why I can’t receive any LTE signal?

Is someone able to please provide a list of AT commands that should get my device up and registered to the Hologram network, to see if it works? Otherwise, I have no other option but to contact the seller (Mouser) and request a replacement due to a possible hardware fault.

Has anyone else ever had the same issue, and solved it?

Can anybody help solve this issue please or provide some help?

Thanks.

Julian

Hello again,

It appears the LTE ANT pin is shorted to GND! Is this normal?

I received a replacement , and the same issue - the LTE ANT pin is shorted to GND!

The supplier’s entire batch probably has the same issue, so there no point in asking for a 2nd replacement.

Thanks.

Julian

Hi,

I managed to sort this issue out. Apparently my +URAT was set to 8 (NB1) and not 7 (M1), despite Sparkfun stating somewhere that the installed Sara-R5 device is the -00B, so I assumed the +URAT could never be 8. However, the kit does have the Sara-R5 device -01B installed and the default of +URAT is 8. My carrier does not support NB1, obviously!

Julian