[si4703] - ENABLE bit not turning on.

Hi all,

I have an evaluation board with the si4703. I do not think that it is an original sparkfun-made circuit board. I am trying to figure out if what I am experiencing is something that can be rectified or whether it is a defective chip/module.

When setting the enable bit it will never turn on no matter what. Reading the registers afterward this will never come up as 1 and the rest of the parameters, e.g., fw version etc are not populated.

I have replaced the crystal and load capacitors and also removed the crystal/caps and supplied a clock signal but still nothing.

All signals appear to be correct and the I2C signals appear correctly on the scope/serial analyser.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Cheers,

Evros

Test all the solder joints on the Si4703 and surrounding components.

Evros:
I do not think that it is an original sparkfun-made circuit board.

where did you buy it from?

Hi and thanks for replying. I am in Cyprus and got it from a local supplier along with some other things for work. The reason I don’t think it is genuine is because it is purple in colour and not red.

I have gone over all pads with the soldering iron under a microscope. I redone the chip pins as best as I could. There is continuity and evrything checks out.

The crystal will start and give a clean clock signal at t 32.76KHz.

I can capture all I2C traffic and decode it. The registers can be written but the only trouble is that the ENABLE never has any effect on it. No powerup and the firmware field is never populated correctly. It is as if the chip has no firmware on it.

I am using a 5v arduino with a directional level shifter to 3.3v which is regulated.

There has to be a glitch somewhere.

Regards,

Evros

I see. Yeah. Sounds like it’s a knockoff. Please try to buy from official sparkfun distributors in Cyprus. You will receive authentic products.

I do not know of anyone if I am honest. You mean counterfeit as in the actual Skyworks’ chip is counterfeit?