Simple Volume Control Doesn't Seem So Simple

Hi all,

The project seems simple enough: use a WAV trigger to play audio, and use 2 triggers to control audio of 2 tracks.

I want to use trigger 1 to start playing 3 different tracks - all synchronized at all times (an important detail).

I want to use trigger 2 to mute track 3 but hear track 2.

I want to use trigger 3 to mute track 2 but hear track 3.

Again, all without stopping and starting the track during switches; I want trigger 2 and 3 to only function as volume control using a single pole double throw relay connected to a push to talk button (scripted demo of walkie-talkie).

I can’t seem to figure out how I can accomplish this… even after spending hours. It seems this is a unique engineering problem - and I’m not much of an engineer lol.

Maybe someone with more engineering IQ has an idea on how I can do this - or if not, suggest a viable alternative… it’s probably relatively simple for someone with more know-how… but I don’t even know where to begin tbh.

I’d greatly appreciate help!

Can’t you simply use switches to disconnect the audio?

Switch1 enables the track with the two chans. We could refer to this as the ‘Play’ button.

S2 opens chan Left, muting it.

S3 opens chan Right, muting it.

Audio equipment like DJ or studio mixers might have something like this standard, possibly even with a built in sampler.

L/R mute, panning, pan fader

Two synchronized channels is pretty common.

It’s called stereo for audio and optics and is conceptually used for many types of signal sensing and reproduction like radar. It’s useful even for decidedly low-resolution uses like your run of the mill volume/select knobs (like on dashboards) which use quadrature encoders to detect rotation position and speed by monitoring two optical inputs.

Yes, the switches I understand - it’s the programming of the actual WAV trigger board is what I’m having a hard time with. All the channels are stereo. My goal is to just program the 2nd and 3rd switches to function as basically just mute buttons for the other corresponding stereo track, not panning left and right between stereo channels. Trigger 2 mutes track 3 and trigger 3 mutes track 2. Likewise, trigger 2 unmutes track 2, etc. You could think of 2 as Rx and 3 as Tx (like on a walkie talkie).

I might just have to spend more time with the software and learning more about the features. I’m admittedly a newbie.

Sorry if my post wasn’t clear lol. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I don’t think what you’re trying to do is possible using the triggers alone but it should be possible using serial or I2C control.

You would need a microcontroller attached to the WAV trigger and you’d need to write a small program to send the needed commands to the WAV trigger.

I haven’t looked at the command reference in a while but I think most (possibly all) of what you’re attempting to do could be accomplished with the right sequence of commands.

Ok thanks, I thought maybe that’s the route I’d have to take.