SparkFun OLA not detecting SHT31 sensor

Newbie here so please be as layman and clear in your response.

I have a SparkFun OLA (DEV-19426) and a SHT31 sensor from DFRobot ( DFRobot_SHT3x/examples/singleMeasurement/singleMeasurement.ino at master · DFRobot/DFRobot_SHT3x · GitHub).

I am connecting the SHT31 sensor to the OLA using a JST connector (similar to Qwiic cable) and via a breadboard adapter from piicodev. The wiring looks good but when I connect it up to my laptop and open up serial monitor on the Arduino IDE, then click on “6) Detect/Configure Attached Devices”, the SHT31 sensor doesn’t show up. Is there something I need to do so that the OLA can “detect/configure” the attached sensor?

The OLA is pre-configured to detect the devices listed here ; the DFrobot one isn’t going to be auto-detected with default firmware

But! We have an instructional for how to add custom devices here - it can be done but it’ll require some patience if you’re new

You could also grab one of the sensors on that list to make life easier (SparkFun Humidity Sensor Breakout - SHTC3 (Qwiic) - SEN-16467 - SparkFun Electronics or Qwiic Humidity AHT20 - SPX-16618 - SparkFun Electronics are good choices)…that’d probably be my recommendation

1 Like

Thanks Russell. I’ll check out how to add custom devices.
The reason I’m using the SHT31 is because it’s weather-proof and I wasn’t able to find any similar products from SparkFun. Any clue if I might be missing out on my search?

We only have temperature (not humidity) for the weatherproof sensors that we currently offer; the DFRobot seems like a good choice for your use-case