Strange question about stepper motors

Shortly: it is possible to join two stepper motors to double the torque?

In other words, something like the image below

https://i.ibb.co/GxgzGvj/503-thumb-P-1572425352583.jpg

I have space problems, so at the moment I’m searching for a long but slim stepper motor (i.e. a NEMA 10 size) with a reasonable torque. I didn’t find any motor fitting my needs (12 Ncm or higher).

I don’t need micro or half stepping, so this idea has come to my mind.

By simply duplicating the wires from a driver board this arrangement should work, or not?

Obviously, the driver should be able to provide 2 times the current necessary for one single motor.

There are other drawbacks? I’m missing something? :?

Yes that would double your torque.

Just make sure the motors are perfectly in sync with each other, you don’t want them fighting one another. Also make sure your driver can handle double the current that the two motors together are going to need.

Sync?.. hmmm…

How I get that?

It is not enough to have the same wires from the driver board going to motor A and motor B in parallel? I mean: every single wire is splitted in two wires going to same poles of motor A and B (4 wires comes out from the driver → 8 wires are attached at the motors).

By sync I mean:

When you have the shafts connected, both motors need to be in the exact same portion of the step they are in. If one is connected so that it’s leading or lagging by a bit, one motor is pushing against the other and not contributing to your load. A coupler with a little give in it would be helpful here in case the motors are slightly misaligned.

Got it.

Thanks.

After mounting your motors, if you run the motors through at least a couple step cycles before joining the shafts then they should be on the same step phase and they should be okay from then on as long as you don’t alter your wiring.

Clever. Thanks

TS-Chris:
A coupler with a little give in it would be helpful here in case the motors are slightly misaligned.

These guys have a decent selection of inexpensive flexible shaft couplers:

https://www.mpja.com/Shaft-Couplers/products/529/

Uh! A lot of nice couplers!

I’m in paradise… :smiley:

Thanks.