Thing Plus - RP2040 - port not detected

I thought it does not need any drivers to make it work in Arduino. It does not look like OS recognizes it as USB Serial Device. Do I have a defective one?

1. I tried on Mac and Windows

2. I tried 3 different USB C cables (one might be bad because it was not working with other boards)

3. It connects properly when the boot button is pressed while connecting the USB C cable (I can see RPI-RP2 drive on Windows and Mac and cable must be good)

Any ideas on how to fix it?

The Thing Plus RP2040 doesn’t create a serial port, it creates a USB drive where you can load your compiled .uf2 files. You would need to load a .uf2 that creates a serial port on the RP2040 before a port would appear on your computer.

I got the wrong assumption it works under Arduino IDE since even the original Raspberry Pi Pico works. I would buy any other feather-compatible board if I knew that.

Do you have instructions on how to load/create the .utf2 file? Any plans to make it fully compatible with Arduino IDE?

It can work in the Arduino IDE but not out of the box. The [hookup guide has the information you need to get it running under Arduino.](https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/rp2040-thing-plus-hookup-guide/all)

I know how to set up Arduino IDE, still, I cannot find where it is described how to download .utf2 firmware to make the port working. Do I have to build it with Pico SDK? Why is not preloaded on the board?