Tiny AVR Programmer & Windows 11

Well after a PC crash, I thought it was a good idea to install a new copy of Windows 11, how wrong that was. It did sound like a good idea at the time. For the life of me, I cannot get the PC to see the Tiny Programmer. I have attempted automatic and manual driver installs. When it does see it the device appears under Microsoft Tools\FabISP and does not show up in ports thus when you open the IDE no port is shown. But when I plug my USB programmer I use for the Arduino Mini Pro it displays the same port as this device in the IDE. If I change the port to another it just shows that changed port. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled various others to no avail. So is it a Windows 11 issue as I am sure it worked on Windows 10? Any ideas. Regards Paul

When it does see it the device appears under Microsoft Tools\FabISP and does not show up in ports

I dont have windows 11 but that sounds correct to me. Give it a try, it will probably work.

Hi, that’s the problem I cannot get it to work under W11. Will try later today on a W10 PC to prove the point.

Update: Installed on a W10 PC and it’s the same issue. I have 3 of those devices and non will make a com port entry. I know those were working on my PC before W11 as I used to upload to Attiny85 so at a loss to know why! On the W11 pc those devices appear in the device manager under Microchip tools and on the W10 under Libusb-win32 devices.

. I have 3 of those devices and non will make a com port entry.

And they are not ever going too either. Please see the hookup guide for the tiny avr for more information on how the programmer is supposed to operate.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ti … okup-guide

All sorted. Why I thought that it used to make a com port I have no idea.

Don’t feel bad, for some reason everyone makes that same mistake. :slight_smile:

Hello @pjedwards, @yellowdog and the Sparkfun forum,

Had a devil of a time getting the ATtiny 85 to upoad from my Windows 11 laptop.

After several frustrating days the solution was stumbled upon.

After loading the ATtiny drivers and doing the ‘Additional Boards Manager’

URL addition at Files > Preferences and using the excellent

Tiny AVR Programmer (Sparkfun prod ID 11801) with the Tiny plugged into

the Programmer and the Programmer inserted into a laptop USB port

the Tiny will not appear in any port and the Port option in Tools is greyed

out. Even after these options are chosen in the Arduino IDE under Tools

the Port is still greyed out.

Setting at Arduino IDE to compile and load Attiny85

Board: Attiny25/45/85

Clock: Internal 8Mhz

Processor: ATtiny85

Programmer: USBtinyISP