Coin Acceptor signal issues?

Hello,

I have purchased a “Coin Acceptor - Programmable (3 coin types)” [COM-11719] https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11719 and am having difficulty getting a signal from the device. The document provided with the device does not match the one linked in the product. I was provided with the document for a “HX-916” and the linked document references “HX-616”. I would like to know how to identify my coin acceptor so that I might know if I have the correct document and find the correct document if I do not have it.

Beyond that I have several questions about the device it’s self and how to read it’s outputs. I understand that with the newer models (which I have, with the six LEDs) one needs to attache a 10K Ohm pull-up resistor, this and the other comments in the forum say that it should drain to ground when normally operating and provide high impedance to ground when to pulse the attached contact to a high state. I have has some issue with this, the pulse is not visible when hooked to an oscilloscope and is not triggering my circuit. I have validated my circuit is working as expected by:

• energizing my circuit without the coin acceptor in place which behaves as expected with the pull-up triggering the attached contact to a “high” state

• energizing my circuit with the coin acceptor in place which behaves as expected up to the coin drop with the attached contact reading a “low” state due to the “COIN” line sinking the resistor voltage to ground

• programmed the acceptor to recognize a token, this works as expected and provides both visual and auditory feedback that it is recognized as the correct coin

What does not happen as expected is a discernible signal from the coin acceptor when a programmed coin is dropped into the slot. As stated above the coin is recognized and the acceptor provides an auditory and visual queue to confirm this.

Prior to seeing the note tucked away in the product page to add the pull-up resistor to the circuit I was trying to divine the nature of the outputs with the above mentioned oscilloscope and was able to pick out a couple hundred milli-volt pulse in the traces when a coin was dropped that corresponded to the times listed in the documentation for the pulse length setting on the three step switch. This was noisy and not what was expected from the description but discernible. I have not been able to visualize this with the pull up in place. I only mention this to support the idea that the device is not faulty.

Beyond this fundamental issue I would like a better understand of the capabilities and features of the device.

• What does the “Normally Open / Normall Closed” switch do?

• What does the “COUNTER” lead do, how is it intended to be used?

• What does the “2pin port” do?

• I assumed it would disable the audio if a jumper was placed here but that didn’t happen so I have no idea

• Where is the RS232 port?

• What is the #1 on the diagram pointing to on the top of the device?

I am happy to provide images of the device, circuit or diagram as needed to facilitate this, just let me know what you need.

Thanks,

Gabe

• What does the “Normally Open / Normall Closed” switch do?

reverses the ouput’s polarity; switch it if you’re not seeing voltage as expected

• What does the “COUNTER” lead do, how is it intended to be used?

keep track of the # of coins inserted/accepted so far; use to trigger an event once a threshold is met

• What does the “2pin port” do?

additional serial output so you send the signal to a separate circuit

• I assumed it would disable the audio if a jumper was placed here but that didn’t happen so I have no idea

Eh, you’d probably need to open the plastic ad physically disable the speaker if desired

• Where is the RS232 port?

I don’t think there is one anymore

• What is the #1 on the diagram pointing to on the top of the device?

It looks like it used to be an A/B setting switch and is now an indicator LED? Not certain about that one

I have found some alternate part #'s (not related to sparkfun) that appear to be for the same unit; try googling CH936 for additional diagrams/info not posted on our site (and I’ll see about getting ours updated)