DMX shield to addressable LED Problem with long wires

Hy all,

I have a technical problem with the Sparkfun DMX shield (with ESP32 thing plus) and a addresable LED strip, that involve the wires from shield poke connectors to led strip.

If I use a wires longer than 20cm for data and clock, the led does not work properly. If the length is shorter than 20cm everything goes perfect, receiving from DMX and activating the LED’s

Question is that I need at least 50cm from the box where the shield is and the led strip.

I have chequed with LED APA 102, and also with LED ws 2812, with just 8 leds or with 60 leds, and is always the same problem.

I have connected to usb power and external power, direct to the LED (5v, 5a), and always the same problem.

I have use 1mm2 screened wire, from 50cm to 1.5m long, and always the same problem, also with other wires.

Anyone have any idea about how to solve this?

thank you very much,

Pablo

Which addressable LED strip are you using? Is it WS2812? The ESP32 operates at 3.3V logic, but many LED strips (like the WS2812 and APA102) need 5V logic signals.

Hy all,

now it’s solved!

I have short cutted the poke-home connectors, and the logic converter.

I take the signal for the CLK and DATA_PIN direct from the boards pin, at 3.3v.

Now everything works fine, with long wires and receiving DMX, with esp_dmx library, By Mitch Weisbrod.

Something wrong with the logic converter?

Thanks

Captura de pantalla de 2024-05-25 11-33-05.png