Facet L-Band firmware update (2.2->4.0) fail. No longer can access menu items from short press. Can't put in Config mode to rollback version

I updated Facet L-Band firmware from v2.2 to v 4.0 (RTK_Surveyor_Firmware_v4_0.bin) using RTKUploader.win/RTK Firmware Uploader - 1.6.1 as per instructions on Updating RTK Firmware - SparkFun RTK Product Manual. The ‘Status’ window indicated everything went well. The unit self-reset and shut down. I pressed the power button for 3 seconds and the following happens: Splash screen confirms v4.0…No SSIDs…Keys Expired…L Band Config…Status screen showing the following message lines: [Line1] 0000 FlagIcon BatteryIcon [L2] Xmitting [L3] RTCM: ##/ VerticalBarIcon. When I short-press the Power Button nothing happens. When I Long-Press the unit shuts down. When I plug in the USB cable and Power On the same cycle repeats and I am unable to put the device into Configuration Mode to undo this terrible mistake of updating the firmware (but Windoze Device Manage recognizes the 3 USB devices of the Facet). How can I rollback the firmware version to 2.2?

Good news: Even when the unit is in the “Xmitting RTCM…” Mode, the USB Port is still active and can be accessed by the RTK Firmware Uploader GUI. I was able to upload and rollback the version to v2.2. It would be helpful if the display screen reflected the firmware was being updated and some status/progress were displayed. What happens now is the display screen simply freezes. Fortunately the GUI end on windoze provides ongoing feedback. At least I was able to get back to a working unit.

You should always be able to upgrade/downgrade the firmware so don’t worry about damaging a unit.

I suspect after the upgrade that the Setup button was disabled. Once you’ve updated to v4.0, from the system menu, do a factory reset then see if the button is working. Let us know how it goes!

Played with it some more. Since I am upgrading from v2.2 and v2.2 does not support Serial Port config, I used the GUI method to update to version 3.0 first. That worked flawlessly. Then I used the WiFi Configuration Method to update to v4.0 and THAT worked flawlessly. Now I can move on to what I’m really trying to do, which is get Base Station RINEX corrected by OPUS. Thank you for your prompt reply! P.S. The updating from v3 to v4 DID display the status on the Facet display. Very nice.

1 Like