Having trouble getting Tsunami Super WAV Trigger - 25 Voice (Qwiic) to output sound

Hiya,
I have the 25 voice Tsunami Super WAV trigger and I’m having no luck just getting the initial testing audio to output.

Here’s all the things I tried.

• I tried new audio files.
  • I tried redownloading sample files.
  • I tried reducing it to a single file triggered by trigger 1 and output on output 1
  • I tried changing that file to trigger 16 and output 4
  • I have tested every lead I can with a meter for continuity.
  • I changed power sources from USB to VIN/GND ( I was using a measured 6V )

Nothing happens on a trigger contact closure of any of the 16 inputs.

The status light did exactly what it was supposed to. 3 green blinks on boot, then an occasional blue flash.

Nothing happens to the status light on a trigger contact closure. I thought I read that it would, but now I can’t find that note.

I unplugged everything I had plugged in, (a quik extender over RJ45), every jumper I had to other outputs and triggers, etc.

Still nothing on any trigger closure.

I tried opening the sample files with Audactiy, but got an error which made me suspicious about the files maybe being corrupted or outdated or something. So I made a couple of my own files, followed the instructions for outputting correctly, clearing header info, etc. and following the proper naming convention. That didn’t yield any changes.

The file the Robertsonics configurator looks like this:

#TRIG 01, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 02, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 03, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 04, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 05, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 06, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 07, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 08, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 09, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 10, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 11, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 12, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 13, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 14, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 15, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
#TRIG 16, 192, 0, 0, 1, ,
This file was generated by the Tsunami Configurator v0.30
It's required only if you wish to over-ride the default settings.
You may add your own comments below this line -->

I tried connecting to the configurator and accessing the remote control feature but go no indicator of a connection. I was using a USB cable that connects fine to arduinos, and a port showed in the configurator but the Get info button did nothing / was not available.

I disconnected my audio jack and attempted hard wiring (just super low tech testing by holding leads onto an audio jack into powered speakers). I was looking for ANY signs of output sound, but got nothing.

I tested the speakers I was using. No problem there…

I have not started using my project hardware or audio files yet. I am just trying to get through the basic startup hardware checkout and have not been able to get anything to work yet.

I’ve been through the manuals and data sheets. The troubleshooting checklist doc is great. It helped me to make sure my water soluble flux was clean. I had a little residue, but that wasn’t the issue for me. No changes after cleaning.

Oh by the way a few of the Robersonics links are not good anymore. Looks like they changed the pages on you. It happens. If I find them again I’ll take better notes.

I’ve watched several videos. I’ve been at this for 4 hours so far and tried very hard to not ask for help.

What can I do next?

And I don’t think my solder work is that bad…

The USB connector on this board does nothing but provide power. I don’t know what the port you saw was but it wasn’t the Tsunami. Get Info will not be able to return any data with the board connected via it’s own USB connector, you need a FTDI board to do that.

What SD card are you using? I’d suggest a brand name card 32GB or smaller to start with. Format it FAT32 (again) and download these sample files, unzip and put those on your card. Connect a small 1W or lower speaker to 1L and AGND and ground each trigger pin one at a time. Forget about the config file for now, the goal is just to make sounds.

It looks like links are broken in the Robertsonics PDF’s, He usually lurks in the forums so will probably see this post and get those fixed eventually.

Hiya,

I kind of figured the serial was required for that, I just wanted to list what I tried. :slight_smile:

This is the card I’m using - a PNY 16GB class 10.
https://a.co/d/hF33oTt

I don’t have a “speaker-only” speaker - only a powered speaker set.

I’ve reformatted twice already using the same parameters, but I tried it again with your files. Thanks for sharing them.

Here is the format in progress… Ignore the name as I was removing the volume label.

Here is the wiring config

I’ve tested the speakers I connected (again) and tested the wiring through the RST terminal adapter, and I even bypassed the purple jumper I was using as a test and hard shorted across the first of the 6 inputs you can see I have header pins soldered into.

I also tried connecting only one of the channels (left and right) each individually

Still no sound.

What can I do next?

I take it you’re getting no sound at all? Not even any clicks or any low level digital noise?

Could be a bad board but I’d try a different SD card first. Also wouldn’t hurt to format the card with this SD card formatting utility rather than the one in windows. (It’s fixed weird issues I’ve had in the past with SD cards not working in some devices.)

Also, power the board via a USB cable and a phone charger or computer to rule out any power supply issues.

How are your speakers powered? AC adapter or USB? Do they work when you connect them to another device with a 3.5mm jack?

Ok - thank you so much for helping this far. We might be done, but not with good news. If you would not mind seeing if I’ve done everything…

Yes, I tested the speakers. They are powered by an AC power supply and when I plug them into my computer via the 1/8" plug they work fine.

I’m not getting zero sound, no. I clearly get a grounding buzz when only connecting a single wire, but then its dead silent when connected fully and shorting the trigger inputs.

When I press the reset button there is a small pop when releasing it, as the board boots.

At all times the board seems to boot with the 3 green flashes, then an occasional blue flash, indicating a healthy board, I understand.

I tried the format utility you sent. It doesn’t allow for setting the 32Kb file allocation, or really any parameters, so that was strange, but It did report a “cluster size” on confirmation as 32kb, so maybe that’s good.

While writing above I was doing all those things and I just completed and I have new results.
With the format of the card using the tool you sent, and the demo files you sent, which only have files 1 thru 13, when I short THOSE triggers, I get a red light on the LED, still no sound.
When I short the triggers with no files (14-16) I get nothing. This is new.

I recall reading somewhere about the firmware being required to match either Stereo or Mono. That got me thinking about your files, if they were stereo or mono.
When importing your files into audacity, they import as stereo. Is it possible the firmware I got is mono and I need to switch it?

I hadn’t tried any firmware stuff yet. So I have now tried that. I added new firmware using the robertsons page Downloads — Robertsonics

I downloaded and installed the Tsunami2_19_20240407_v203s as specified for my 25 voice qwiic board and got the same results from the newly formatted card with your stereo files on it. Red lights when triggers 1-13 are shorted and still no sound.

For what it’s worth, I did go back through all the audio device testing I could think of AFTER the red lights started to appear to see if I could get any sound in any way and was unable. I tried connecting unpowered headphones, basic brand new apple earbuds (wired), and still nothing but silence when connected.

Is there anything left?

Its starting to seem like while the windows card formatter may have been A problem, it may not have been my ONLY problem, as I am starting to feel like the board will never output sound.

What’s next?
Thanks again!

also, yes I tried another card. Same brand and size, and also another card reader for writing. I tried all combinations of cards and USB card read/write dongles. It doesn’t seem like that is an issue to me, though.

I think you may have a bad board. :frowning:
I’d see this page about getting a replacement.

1 Like

I have submitted.

I’ll let you know what they say if/when they get my board back and test it. :slight_smile:
I’m super curious, after all this work.

Thanks again for all your time!
…saved my ass.

1 Like

Ok - new information… it was me. Somehow. Maybe someone else can benefit from my experience. For clarity, the trouble I had was the same from start to finish, never changing with anything I did.

Short the trigger, red light, no sound… Every time.

As part of following instructions on the walkthrough, I downloaded sample files from somewhere. I’m having trouble finding them now.

This is where I think my path split in a bad way.

I’m trying to find where I got these files because I didn’t fabricate them, and yet I haven’t been able to locate my source. They have to be somewhere… On a site somewhere?

Maybe they have a problem? I’m not fully sure, but I’m not passing the buck.

Then, I got some help here in this thread, from someone who seemed to really know the game. They were very helpful, but something was missing, probably from my side.

I tried changing firmware; that didn’t work.

I changed it back; that didn’t work.

I used the [sample files] they provided (PianoDemo.zip - Google Drive) with no luck.

Turns out their sample files are in stereo and the boards come in mono by default, and so they won’t play unless the firmware is changed. As I mention above, I had done that, but possibly before I had these files…

I tried using the robertsons configurator, no luck.

I changed format utilities to the one recommended here, changed cards, different sizes and manufacturers. I changed the card writer dongle to a different brand.

In every case, the set of sample files I had, had a tsunami.ini file on them. I still am not sure this mattered.

However, today, after receiving a replacement card, and getting the SAME results, I knew there had to be something on me.

Since I had what I believed to be a brand new board, and I was getting the same results, I felt starting over made sense.

In going back through the docs, I found a different set of sample files, this time with NO ini file at all.

When I tried them on the new card, they worked.
When I tried them on the original card, they worked there also.
Something about having an ini file on the card perhaps?

Or the stereo v mono conflict perhaps, though I did navigate that issue, or attempted to, hence the mention of the firmware update. That’s where I tried that.

Over the next few days I’ll try to figure out if there are more issues, like if the ini file problem is real or not. I’m really just trying to uncover the truth of what happened exactly, but it’s certainly possible I got off track at the sample files I found… somewhere…

Is it possible that using the INI file is ONLY for Qwiic control and that stops the function of shorting the triggers? I hope to find that out as well…

Anyway - thanks again for all the help.

1 Like