IoT RedBoard - ESP32 WROOM vs. Thing Plus - ESP32 WROOM (U.FL)

I’m having trouble with getting the same functionality on the firmware side from these two boards. The basic scheme is:

1. Power up and wait for a boot button press to request data from a Raspberry PI.
    • It’s networking data so it asks for an SSID, password, and MQTT broker data.
  2. If the button is pressed within a specified delay the request is send, received data back and written to preferences.
  3. if no button press then the code used data already in preferences.
  4. Now the WiFi connection is established, followed by the broker connection.
  5. If all goes well we start publishing MQTT data now.

With the IoT board this isn’t an issue. However, when I’m using the same code with the Thing Plus it doesn’t go so well. Sometimes updated data doesn’t get stored to preferences properly but the biggest issue is the Thing never starts publishing data.

My question is, what course of action should I take to get the Thing Plus working as I want it to; what should I be looking at to fix this?

I could just use the IoT forever but I liked the range I could get with the Thing Plus with U.FL over the IoT.

I would suggest going back and testing the regular sketches first ESP32 Thing Plus Hookup Guide - SparkFun Learn and then after ensuring the u.FL one is working as expected with blink/wifi examples re-attempt the MQTT one

The only other thing I can think of off-hand is maybe double-check the board definition being selected @ upload (needs to be adafruit feather for the u.FL)