Openscale Not Giving Weight Reading with Loadcell Attached

Hello,

I’m having trough getting my openscale board to send the initial startup communications. I can not get it to respond to any key presses or to display the full startup text. I’ve tried connecting via the Arduino IDE on windows and linux and via the linux terminal. and all the serial monitor displays is these three 3 lines:

Serial Load cell Converter version 1.2

By SparkFun Ellectronics

No remote sensor found

I’ve reuploaded the firmware arduino script to it, tried multiple usb cables, tested the resistance of the load cell disconnected from the board and connected to it, and even done the reset by shorting the rx to ground (Which does actually give a 4th line of “Reset!” but nothing else).

What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your help with this!

What happens when you try bringing up the menu?

Nothing happens beyond displaying those three lines. I believe what should happen is a fourth line should appear saying to press x and you can literally type x into the serial monitor yes? Well nothing typed into the serial monitor after this does anything.

I guess I can also say that pressing the reset button gets it to print those three lines in the serial monitor again.

Ensure the settings match this https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/op … ifications

How is it wired up? Maybe share a a photo

Yep, I tried connecting it by various combinations as mentioned in the documentation, like pictured where I swapped the two pairs of wires… I have not tried with anything but a 4 wire load cell hooked up (I have two and tried both. Probing with my multimeter confirms I did connect the wires to the screw terminals correctly.

Are you certain your terminal utility is sending what you think?

Some are more intuitive than others.

For example, adding the ‘Enter’ often needs to be made explicit (eg /r/n, CR/LF, \x0a).

It isn’t causing your communication issues but double check your cell wiring.

From here, it appears you have green & white on excitations which looks funny.

Yes, I am familiar with the Arduino IDE serial monitor as well as enough with the linux terminal that this should not be the issue. Also, should it not be starting to report sensor data anyway? This seems more like something potentially wrong with the board. yes?

Yes I mentioned I took this photo with the two pairs of wires swapped. I have tried it in the labeled configuration as well. Since I still have the paired wires at opposite corners of the Wheatstone bridge hooked up to excitation and output respectively it should not make any difference except change the sign of the read signal.

jkotrub:
Yes I mentioned I took this photo with the two pairs of wires swapped.

Apologies for overlooking that.