Question about soldering FSR : Can I bend the solder tab?

Hi I have a question when investigating how to correctly solder the FSR. I want to implement a project which has limited area for the FSR, so if possible, I would like to go with the solution as what the attchments are shown.

But I read the sparkfun FSR integration guide: Do not kink or crease the tail of the FSR device

So how does the following attachments work? It seems that they are bending the sensor.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Thx

harry

Hi Harry.

What SparkFun part number are you inquiring about?

TS-Chris:
Hi Harry.

What SparkFun part number are you inquiring about?

Hi Chris,

I am checking with Force Sensitive Resistor - Small - SEN-09673 or some similar small FSRs. But my question is more about how to understand the FSR integration guide - Do not kink or crease the tail of the FSR device.

What does the “tail” here refer to?

Can I bend the staple part like the previous attached pics?

Thx

Harry

Hello Harry.

The “tail” refers to the section of conductor between the actual sensor and the metal pins. The solder tabs themselves can be bent, but you don’t want sharp bends in the tail. If you need a shorter tail, you can cut the tail and then crimp on a new set of solder tabs like part number [COM-14195.](Amphenol FCI Clincher Connector (2 Position, Male) - COM-14195 - SparkFun Electronics)

TS-Chris:
Hello Harry.

The “tail” refers to the section of conductor between the actual sensor and the metal pins. The solder tabs themselves can be bent, but you don’t want sharp bends in the tail. If you need a shorter tail, you can cut the tail and then crimp on a new set of solder tabs like part number [COM-14195.
[/quote]

Thanks Chris,

1. If I understand correctly, if I need a shorter one, I can cut off the tail from the red line I draw in the following pic?

1. Will it affect the resistor value if it is a long tail or a short tail given that both has the same pressure force?

2. What confused me is the part I read about from tutorials/flex-sensor-hookup-guide/all?print=1 - “Make sure to cut as close to the solder tabs as possible.”:

I thought I could only cut off the metal pin.](Amphenol FCI Clincher Connector (2 Position, Male) - COM-14195 - SparkFun Electronics)

You can go shorter, we just say that in the guide to keep customers from cutting the sensor too short and not having enough lead left to make a crimp. Measure twice, cut once!