RTK EXPRESS PLUS: firmware updates and other issues

Hello everyone. I will try to keep a long story short.

Order #: 9544921
Purchase date: 2022-12-21
Device: SparkFun RTK Express Plus GPS-18590
RMA # 31152
Sent to SparkFun for repairs: 2023-11-13
Returned by SparkFun to incorrect mailing address: 2023-12-06

Two years ago I purchased an RTK Express Plus directly from SparkFun. It worked well for almost a year. Then the front panel power button failed, turning on the unit at random intervals. I returned it for repair or replacement under the warranty. After repair the unit was returned by SparkFun to an incorrect mailing address. I was eventually able to recover the unit after several months delay, by when the warranty period had expired.

The power button on the repaired unit worked well, but there were several new issues. Foremost among them, the unit did not detect any GNSS satellites. I also own an RTK Express which worked perfectly using the same antenna and cable as the Express Plus, while the latter, in the same location, did not detect any satellites after 15 minutes.

The original Express Plus originally came with the following firmware:

rtkIdentifier=34
rtkFirmwareVersion=v2.2-Jun 8 2022
zedFirmwareVersion=HPS 1.00

The repaired unit had been changed to:

rtkIdentifier=58
rtkFirmwareVersion=v3.10
zedFirmwareVersion=HPS 1.00

The new firmware did not allow me to change NAV message settings (such as UBX_NAV_HPPOSLLH and UBX_NAV_PVT), which I need for my application. Thinking that a firmware glitch might also be responsible for the general malfunction of the unit I attempted to re-install firmware v2.2 obtained from

using the SD Method described in

Firmware v2.2 installed without difficulty but, after reboot, the unit displays:

SparkFun
RTK
Surveyor
[note “Surveyor” not “RTK Express+”]
v2.2

followed by:

Accel
Failed

and immediately shuts down.

I then attempted to force firmware loading of v3.1 as described in the above documentation using the corresponding .bin file from the above releases page.

The unit displays:

SparkFun
RTK
Surveyor
v2.2

followed by

Firmware
Update
5%

and immediately shuts down. (The battery is fully charged.)

I realize the warranty period has long expired and I am not writing to moan, these things do happen. Under the unfortunate combination of circumstances however, I would be most grateful for any assistance to:

1. load firmware v2.2, if possible, or another fully functional version of RTK EXPREESS PLUS firmware

2. restore overall function of the unit

Thanks in advance!

You can install the firmware again and restore factory setting.