RTK Torch-RTK Fix Issues

My new RTK Torch is having a difficult time reaching and maintaining RTK Fix.

It is using PointPerfect corrections.

The “Age of Differential Data” averages between 5-9 seconds.

It generally sees 27-31 satellites and will connect to 25-30 most of the time.

I have waited as long as 1 hour and never achieved RTK Fix. RTK Float is the best I get.

On the rare occasion that I reach RTK Fix, it is lost when I move the pole to activate Tilt Compensation.

I’m at a loss as to what affects this.

What are the factors that determine Float vs Fix?

Is there something I’m missing or should I just assume that this device will not work in my environment?

Hey NerdyOldMan,

If you are getting RTK Float, you are within the coverage envelope for PointPerfect. Can you please send me a direct message with your device ID, and your general location if you’d be willing to share it? I can look up your Torch on the PointPerfect console and get an idea of what’s going on with your connection from their end.

Is this a Torch Beta, or the full release Torch?

I recommend first trying a factory reset, which will wipe out the old PointPerfect keys, give the device a fresh start. Also be sure the “Enable PointPerfect” setting is turned on.

The Float to Fix transition is usually determined by the quality of your current GNSS reception and the quality of the corrections. It’s an iterative mathematical calculation, where the receiver tries to find the single best possible fit for its location from both the GNSS and the corrections. While it is still looking for that best fit, you are in Float; when it finds the fit, you are in Fix. This is a simplified explanation (the math is a bit too complex for me to fully grok), but fits reasonably well.

Also, be advised that today and tomorrow we are experiencing a massive solar storm (strongest in 20 years from my understanding), and that is absolutely going to affect GPS equipment. I’m not certain this is causing your issue (which is why I provided the steps above), but it is entirely plausible:

https://www.spaceweather.gov/communitie … -dashboard

https://www.spaceweather.gov/communitie … -dashboard

I sent a PM with the info last Friday.

Since then, I’ve:

• Done a factory reset

• Cleared the PointPerfect keys and re-provisioned (a couple of times)

• Updated firmware (even tried the beta)

Same issue. It will occasionally reach RTK Fix, but loses it very easily.

Sometimes it never progresses beyond Single or DHPS, and I do a power cycle to reinitialize. That helps occasionally, but still loses Fix easily.

I’m currently using 35 out of 36 satellites, with Age of Differential Data averaging 5 seconds and have been in Float for about 15 minutes.