Simultaneous RFID Reader with Windows 64 and URA forcing disconnecting upon read

I recently bought the Simultaneous RFID Tag reader (M6E Nano) for use in a school project, and attached it to the CH340C breakout, and am using a USB-C Cable to connect to my USB port in the computer, as instructed by following the tutorial available in the RFID reader. https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/si … troduction, following the “Using Universal Reader Assistant” system.

I have verified the soldering work on the, continuity doesn’t appear on any of the 6 header ports, attached work here:

When starting up the Universal Reader Assistant (URA), the program is able to recognize the connection of the device, and changes COM ports when connected to the different USB ports. Have also tried different USB-C to USB cables, all are able to find the Reader once the Refresh button is pressed.

After setting the power levels to 3-5 dBM (due to only using USB power currently). I connect the system and notice that doing Read Continuously or Read N Tags, I end up with the system forcibly closing on me, with the LED also turning off:

Error_message.png
When Doing “read once”, I can read a RFID tag at close range:

Note that after pressing the Read Once button 4 times, the COM port disconnected and said that access to port is then denied: Most likely too much traffic?

I have reached out to Jadak support for anything on the URA, and they said that on the Transports Logs I sent (attached here), there is nothing that they can see wrong with the software side of the connection.

I also checked the USB Device Analyzer, and didn’t see anything that could indicate a switch in USB connection (no logs sent). The information for those ports can be attached if necessary.

Anything else I should be looking into, or more likely that the board is dead? I will be testing on another device soon, but for now, I wanted to see if there was anything else I can with my current setup.

Thank you, Ryan Tanary

Seems to me that your issue is related to power. Depending on the USB port version USB1 and USB 2 can deliver up to 500mA / 0.5A, where USB3 can deliver 900mA. You had already set for a lower dBM but it might not be enough. Also check on the CH340C that it provides 5V, not 3V3. else consider to connect an additional source to the seperate 3.7V-5V connection point (like a charged LIPO)

Thank you Paul!

Does the RFID reader have internal logic that prevents too much power from being drawn from limited sources? As well, are there calculations that I can do for the current to verify the maximum values of signal strength I can expect in this case?

The only way to control to much power is setting the dBM low. The result is that your tag needs to be nearly on-top-off the board. In the many tests that I have done, while using 5dBM, I ha d to use the LIPO to get stable communication. My USB2 power was not enough. The issue is mainly that the Nano is using the power in bursts (when reading/writting a tags). So you need a power supply that can handle that. With a lipo battery the power is instant available, like a power source with strong capacitors would be. Most wall wart power supply have a small capacitor and would not be a solution.

P.s. Make sure to check the 5V supply setting on the CH340.

Solution to the issue was with the CH340, as the 5V solder trace was not selected in the option.

How did you fix this? @rtanary