SparkFun RTK Express, Problem Connecting to Bluetooth in Android

I have the RTK Express kit and was able to login to the 192.168.4.1 to configure the Bluetooth to connect to an Apple phone via BLE mode. It worked great, though it has been months since we had tried it with Apple.

Today, we tried connecting to an Android phone. We cannot connect to the Rover via the Android stock Bluetooth. We tried the following:

• Changing BLE back to SPP and no success
  • We’ve tried forgetting the device in Android and finding the device
  • Factory reset the unit

We can find the device via the Android Bluetooth system search, but connecting to the device from Android times out, or is unresponsive.

We also recognize, it could be the Android phone itself because it’s a really old phone. We haven’t tried a faster phone yet, but that could be the next step unless you guys have any other potential solutions?

I haven’t tried Firmware update as discussed in this post:

Is there an easy way to download the correct BIN? We are Firmware 4.0

Found Firmware 4.1 and will try that to see if it fixes the connection problem.

1 Like

Alrighty - just let us know if it doesn’t!

We tried uploading the firmware to 4.1 via Wi-Fi, “Upload BIN” but only received a stuck on “Uploading, please wait. . . .” screen. We waited more than 10 minutes. Still nothing.

We tried using a desktop and Android phone to do the uploads. Both failed with that screen.

Factory reset, still problems.

We tried switching the bluetooth mode to BLE but it would not detect on the Apple phone that we had previously been able to connect with.

I ordered a new RTK Express kit, Order # 10153086, to see if we have better success.

I usually perform firmware update via SD card i.e. put the bin file on the SD card, then initiate the update with terminal from PC (with USB/COM connection). (Maybe last update was initiate with Wifi configuration mode).

1 Like

Try the serial method or the SD card method that Eric_S mentioned and see if that helps

1 Like

I got the new unit and we tested it. It worked instantly without any problems.

I think the old one I have is defective. The antenna works fine, it’s just the actual SparkFunRTK Express device.

Can you provide me details on how to send it in? It’s too difficult for me to troubleshoot the SD card & Terminal method. I’ve literally wasted hours of my life trying to troubleshoot, and it’s really annoying to discover the new unit to work instantly.

Sure, head on over to Return Policy - SparkFun Electronics

Thanks. I submitted a ticket yesterday. Hopefully I can send it in for repair (I can pay), or there’s an option to get just the board sent out, and I can likely replace it.

I like the RTK Firmware Uploader App. It’s Quick and easy, but so is Serial.