Questions regarding Pulse Oximeter and Heart Rate Sensor - MAX30101 & MAX32664

Hi! I’m looking forward to buy a SparkFun Pulse Oximeter and Heart Rate Sensor - MAX30101 & MAX32664. Before that I have some simple clarifications to sort it out. :lol: :lol:

1. Does the sensor have to always touch with the skin?

2. Does the sensor works well through non reflective fabricks such as cotton. (Is it ok if the skin is covered with such kind of clothes)

3. Is the sensor only work for fingers? Is it work if the sensor placed on other parts of body as well such as neck, arm

Stay safe!

1.) Yes, the led illuminates the underlying tissue and reads raw data values and the Bio Sensor hub runs algorithms to interpret that data.

2.) It is not designed to work through thin or non-reflective fabric. It can be difficult getting clear readings on a finger that has poor circulation without any clothing.

3.) Yes, the sensor is only designed for the fingers. You could get readings for other parts of the body, but the Bio Sensor Hub only runs algorithms for fingers only. If you wish to try other parts of the body, I would suggest using the Particle Sensor Breakout - MAX30105 (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14045)

Thank you very much for the information! :slight_smile: