RFID Tag on or inside metal object?

Hello,

I recently purchased the SRTR kit and the UHF RFID Tag at this link: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14151

If I bring the tag near the reader it detects it perfectly. Now if I attach the tag to back of a mobile phone and bring it near the reader (tag side facing away from reader) there is no response at all. I am using internal antenna. I am new to RFID so if any one could explain what the issue could be?

Can this kit be able to read tags attached to metal assests? what about if the tag is placed inside a metallic box?

Thanks.

RFID tags operate with electromagnetic waves. The signal emitted by the reader acts like a hand slap to the outside of a pool. The water inside has waves that carry through the water, like current in a wire. The antennas are designed to be hit and carry very specific waves. When they are bathed in other outside interference, like from a cell phone, the signals don’t work correctly. The antennas can’t resonate correctly. When attached to metallic objects readers can have difficult reading a signal from the tag because the electromagnetic properties are changed slightly. Being placed inside a metallic box will make it even more difficult to be read. You could try to place thick backing between the tag and the surface of the other metallic or electrical devices to help reduce those issues.

There are RFID tags which have been designed specifically for mounting onto metal objects, for example for tool tracking in manufacturing, or automatic road tolls for cars. Some tags are even designed to be mounted inside metal objects, such as [the Pico iN Plus from Xeraphy. Incredibly it has a claimed read distance of two meters @ 2W when embedded inside a metal object! They’re not cheap though, at £4 a pop in quantities of 20…](RFID UHF Xerafy Pico-iN Tag)

TS-Brandon:
RFID tags operate with electromagnetic waves. The signal emitted by the reader acts like a hand slap to the outside of a pool. The water inside has waves that carry through the water, like current in a wire. The antennas are designed to be hit and carry very specific waves. When they are bathed in other outside interference, like from a cell phone, the signals don’t work correctly. The antennas can’t resonate correctly. When attached to metallic objects readers can have difficult reading a signal from the tag because the electromagnetic properties are changed slightly. Being placed inside a metallic box will make it even more difficult to be read. You could try to place thick backing between the tag and the surface of the other metallic or electrical devices to help reduce those issues.

Thanks for your response. Can you share detection rate of M6E RFID starter kit, if available?

I am interested to see if the reader can give 100% detection rate. If not what are the factors that would impact this rate. ThingMagic Nano M6E only states that the reader is capable to read 200 tags/sec. So, does this mean that if I keep 200 tags in the read range all of those should be detected ?

Other way to look at it, If I place a single tag in the read range, the reader should be able to read it 200 times in a sec?