Bluetooth Failure

We recently purchased a GNSS FACET
During an initial inspection, all components were functioning properly and appeared to be in good condition.
The equipment powers on without any issue.
However, when connecting to SW Maps, no coordinates are registered, and a few seconds later the GNSS disconnects. This error is repeated in other applications like FieldGenius and on other mobile devices.
Reviewing the configuration from Teraterm, the Bluetooth appears active, and updates in the GNSS accuracy are recorded.
The firmware was updated, but the issue persisted.

Are you using android or iOS? You may need to switch the BT mode on the host device

Hello!
We are using an Android device, and the Bluetooth is in classic mode. We performed a factory reset and updated the firmware, but the issue persists. Out of the last 8 devices we’ve purchased, 2 are showing this error.
Best regards!

sparkfun_Bluetooth

Try changing that setting and saving, then try changing it back?

Are the 2 misbehaving units in rover or base mode?

Sorry for the hassle! This is a very odd failure, I don’t have a good explanation yet.

Can you try ‘Run Bluetooth Test’? This is in the System menu-> Debug hardware ‘h’ → Run Bluetooth Test ‘2’.

Below is the output from my RTK Express:

This test verifies the electrical/physical connections (TX and RX) between the GNSS receiver and the ESP32 are good.

Beyond that I’m at a loss and recommend initiating an RMA. We’ll have a look at the 2 problem units and get them fixed or replaced.

I also have a bluetooth failure on my recently purchased (July 2024) RTK Surveyor. I had it set up and providing cm accuracy for tractor driving. I have used it about 5 times, each for up to 6 hours during the past two months. Recently I switched it off at the end of one day, next morning it would not connect to my tablet or my phone.
I contacted the supplier (Core Electronics) who responded promptly and did some initial troubleshooting with me.
Details…
HARDWARE: SparkFun RTK Surveyor V 17, U Blox GNSS Multi-Band Magnetic Mount Antenna - 5m (SMA), Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ model SMX 210
SOFTWARE: SW Maps, (also used Lefebure NTRIP Client), Fieldbee tractor navigation (also used Field Navigator).
NOTE, THE BLUETOOTH MENU SHOWS PAIRING ON THE TABLET, BUT THE BT CONNECTION LIGHT ON THE RTK SURVEYOR CONTINUES TO FLASH AND THE SOFTWARE SAYS “GNSS Instrument disconnected” AND “Failed to connect: java.io.IOException: read failed, socket might be closed or timeout, read ret:-1.”
Troubleshooting steps…
Factory reset and Firmware update. (No change) Check the toggle of the Bluetooth broadcast and NMEA connection switches upward on the motherboard/circuit. (Were correct) Change Bluetooth mode from standard to BLE on the USB-Serial CH340 COM port via the serial text menu. (Bluetooth shows connected on the tablet, but SW Maps and NTRIP Client continue to show disconnected.)
The supplier has emailed Sparkfun two weeks ago to start the RMA process, but no response so far. Meanwhile I continue to wander over my fields at night using 4m accuracy gps from my phone. I guess that’s why farmers pay 10x for the purpose built units that i can’t afford. The sparkfun rtk unit was great while it worked.

I don’t have experience with the RTK surveyor but I have had similar bluetooth issues with an android device connecting to a different GPS.

You might try unpairing and deleting the surveyor from your device then re-adding it. That has worked for me in the past with my issue.

Thank you for your suggestion. I forgot to list that troubleshooting step. I tried unpairing and deleting the device from my tablet and phone. I also tried connecting on my laptop as well as my wife’s iphone with no success.

Below is the output from my RTK Surveyor Bluetooth hardware test as suggested by “sparky”. Result “Bluetooth (B142): online”
:RTK Surveyor BT Test.pdf (59.2 KB)

Thanks for checking that! I can’t explain the issue.

You’ve already unpaired and repaired without luck. As a last resort, I would be sure the phone is rebooted. Seeing as how you’ve tried other devices as well without success, the next step is to get a replacement unit from Core. We’ll work with Core to get it back to SparkFun for inspection.

Thank you Sparky. I have emailed Core to move things along.